CROCS FOR ORPHAN TOTS:

Collecting new and used Crocs for 200 orphans in the Congo, Africa.

Friday, May 2, 2008

Tunga penetrans Infection


On our blog entry of 2008 April 23, we showed photos of a skin disorder which is caused by not wearing shoes. We have now correctly identified this disease. It is an infection of sand fleas called Tunga penetrans which affects the feet of those who do not wear shoes. The female flea burrows under the skin and forms a small, pea-sized cyst. When it gets mature, it causes some irritation of the skin. The french word for it is "chique".



4 comments:

LoopsDesigns - Sarah Dible said...

Is there any treatment for it?

Dr. Barry said...

Yes, the parasites need to be mechanically removed, one at a time and then further infection needs to be prevented by the wearing of shoes. I don't know if you remember or not, but Russell and I have both had Tunga penetrans or 'jiggers' while we lived in Rwanda. The Rwandese called them 'evunja'.

Lesley Canam_Dugas said...

What a great way to help these children. I have two pairs that I can give and I have sent a message to my son's elementary school in Quispamsis, NB to see if there are others out there wanting to help. I will keep you posted.

Keep up the great work.

Kind Regards
Lesley

LoopsDesigns - Sarah Dible said...

Thanks Lesley. Let us know if you need help getting them to us. I will help out with shipping.